Supplemental Education Services

SES Guide
NMAC 6.19.6—Title I Supplemental Educational Services

Preliminary Per Pupil Caps
List of SES Districts and Schools

Download Parent Notification Letter and Enrollment Form | Spanish

SES Provider Information

Recording of SES Training Webinar—October 5, 2011 (52 minutes)

Complaint Procedures
Questions for Families to Ask SES Providers


Supplemental Education Services

What is SES?

Supplemental Educational Services (SES) is additional academic instruction designed to increase the academic achievement of students in schools in need of improvement. 

These services may include academic assistance such as tutoring, remediation and other educational interventions, provided that such approaches are consistent with the content and instruction used by the LEA and are aligned with the State’s academic content standards.  SES must be provided outside of the regular school day, be high quality, research-based and specifically designed to increase student academic achievement.

In general, LEAs must initially make SES available to eligible students from low-income families who attend Title I schools that are in their second year of school improvement, in corrective action, or in restructuring.  For the purposes of determining eligibility for SES, an LEA must determine family income on the same basis that the LEA uses to make allocations to schools under Title I.  Eligibility is not dependent on whether the student is a member of a subgroup that caused the school to not make AYP or whether the student is in a grade that takes the statewide assessments.

A school must continue to offer SES to eligible students until the school is no longer identified for school improvement, corrective action, or restructuring.

LEAs and providers, after consultation with the parents, must agree to a schedule for informing parents and the child’s teacher(s) about the child’s progress.  The intent of this requirement is to ensure that students are improving their academic achievement and that instructional goals are being met.

An LEA may use Title I funds as well as other Federal, State, local, and private resources to pay for SES.  Payment terms must be specified in the agreement between the LEA and the provider.
The law establishes a joint funding mechanism for School Choice-related transportation and SES.  Unless a lesser amount is needed to meet demand for School Choice-related transportation and to satisfy all requests for SES, an LEA must spend an amount equal to 20 percent of its Title I, Part A allocation, before any reservations on:

  1. Choice-related transportation;
  2. Supplemental Educational Services; or
  3. A combination of (1) and (2).

The amount of funding that an LEA must devote to SES depends in part on how much it spends on School Choice-related transportation.

However, if the cost of satisfying all requests for SES exceeds an amount equal to 5 percent of an LEA’s
Title I, Part A allocation, the LEA may not spend less than that amount on those services.

An LEA may spend an amount exceeding 20 percent of its Title I, Part A allocation if additional funds are needed to meet all demands for School Choice-related transportation and SES, but this is not a requirement.

If the demand for School Choice-related transportation and SES, or the costs of those activities, is lower than estimated at the time of the reservation, an LEA may reallocate any unused funds to other allowable activities.

Before making the decision that funds can be reallocated from School Choice-related transportation and SES, LEAs should ensure that eligible students and their families have had adequate time to avail themselves of the opportunity to transfer schools or to receive SES.   In addition, note that any reallocation of funds is subject to the equitable participation requirements of Title I, Section 1120 and Section 200.64 (participation of private school students) of the Title I regulations.
An LEA may provide transportation for SES, but is not required to do so.


Art Martinez
NMPED Title I Bureau
South Federal Place, Room 126
Santa Fe, NM 87501
(w) 505 827-1421
(f) 505 827-1826