in New Mexico
300 Don Gaspar|
Santa Fe, NM 87501-2786
Fax: (505) 827-6520
April 15, 2002
SBE to Consider Corrective Action Timeline For Title I Schools Needing Improvement
(Santa Fe, NM)-The New Mexico State Board of Education (SBE) will meet on Wednesday to Friday, April 24-26, at the Alamogordo Public Schools Board Room, located at 1211 Hawaii Avenue in Alamogordo, to consider the corrective action timeline for 26 Title I schools originally identified as needing improvement in 1997 and facing corrective action this fall. The SBE will also consider how student attendance is defined and reported for the purposes of rating public schools.
"The State Board will consider the corrective action timeline for 26 Title I schools in light of new requirements identified in the No Child Left Behind federal education act," said State Superintendent of Public Instruction Michael J. Davis. "Regarding attendance, we must ensure that the data provided by school districts meet the State Board's expectations and requirements."
The SBE will hold a closed session at 9:00 a.m. on April 26 to discuss litigation in the matter of State of New Mexico vs. Board of Education of Las Vegas City Public Schools regarding the denial by the district of the Bridge Academy charter school in Las Vegas. The SBE remanded the charter to the district for approval in March. Chester Mattocks will provide a status report on the New Mexico State Department of Education's (SDE) audit following the open forum at 1:00 p.m.
The SBE will tour the Holloman Air Force Base on Thursday, April 25, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
The SBE's six standing committees and the Rules of Procedure and Corrective Action Ad Hoc Committees will hold meetings on Wednesday and Thursday, April 24-25, at the Alamogordo Public Schools Board Room. Committees act in an advisory capacity to the SBE, referring items for action. Committee discussions will include:
- Legislation. The SBE's Executive Committee will meet on Wednesday, April 24, from 8:00 to 9:45 a.m., to discuss the SBE's proposed 2002-2003 legislative calendar.
- School District Issues. The SBE's Finance, Transportation and Administration Committee will meet on Wednesday, April 24, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., to hear a report on school district financial issues in Cuba, Hatch, Mesa Vista and Vaughn.
- Corrective Action. The SBE's Accountability Committee will meet on Wednesday, April 24, from 2:45 to 6:00 p.m., to discuss the corrective action timeline for 26 Title I schools facing corrective action this fall and hear a status report on the request for proposal (RFP) for contractors to manage schools identified for corrective action. An update will also be provided to the Corrective Action Ad Hoc Committee on Thursday, April 25, from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m.
The Accountability Committee will also discuss the future application of growth scores in the accountability program, the statewide assessment program, including data validation and testing irregularities, and the school ratings process and timelines for 2002.
In March, the SBE elected new officers for 2002. The new slate of officers is: President, Margaret A. Davis of Taos, Vice-President, Eleanor B. Ortiz of Santa Fe, and Secretary, P. David Vickers of Los Lunas. In April, the SBE's committees will elect chairs and vice-chairs.
- Quality Educators. The SBE's Quality Educators Committee will meet on Thursday, April 25, from 8:15 to 10:15 a.m., to consider a recommendation to the SBE on a beginning date for requiring content knowledge tests for elementary licensure and endorsements in language arts, reading, social studies, mathematics and science. The committee will also consider amendments to licensure rules to reflect the statutory changes made in the 2001 Legislature which added reading requirements to teacher preparation programs. Also to be considered will be amendments to the SBE's licensure reciprocity rule.
- Instructional Services. The SBE's Instructional Services Committee will meet on Thursday, April 25, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., to discuss the application by the Jemez Valley Municipal Schools for charter district status.
The next meeting of the SBE will be a State Board Retreat on May 23-24 in Taos. The SBE will meet in Santa Fe on June 19-21.
For more information, contact Ruth Williams, the SDE's public relations director, at 505-476-0393.