The 2016New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge is a free reading program dedicated to stopping the "summer slide" by encouraging our New Mexico students to read more books over the summer break. Reading is the foundation for learning, and when our students read well, they are better positioned to succeed academically, in the workplace and in life.
Click on the banners below to download and print a reading log for each challenge.
The State of New Mexico is grateful to our community partners from throughout the state for making the New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge possible:
• One reader and their family of four will receive an all-expense paid trip to Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida.
• Two readers will enjoy a balloon ride with Governor Martinez and First Gentleman.
• One reader and their family (of four) will receive a "family four pack" for the 2016 New Mexico State Fair, including four admission tickets into the Fair and four tickets to one of the State Fair's exciting concert/rodeo events at Tingley Coliseum.
• Four readers will become ABQ BioPark Junior Zookeepers for a day, which will include a behind-the-scenes tour and admission tickets to t the ABQ BioPark Zoo.
• Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the Lobos head basketball coach, be announced on the court before a game, a pair or tickets to a Lobo basketball game, and an autographed ball signed by the team.
• Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the Aggies head basketball coach, be announced on the court before a game, a pair or tickets to an Aggies basketball game, and an autographed ball signed by the team.
• Two hundred readers will receive Culture Passes, good for admission to 16 state museums and monuments
• One reader will receive a two-night stay for four people at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort, four round trip tram rides on the Sandia Peak Tram, and a meal for four at Duran Central Pharmacy.
• One reader will receive two one-night gift certificates at Drury Plaza Hotel and a private art lesson by noted Hispanic artist, Sean Wells.
• One reader will receive two nights stay at Auslander Condominiums and two day Red River Ski rentals and ski lift passes.
• One reader will receive a one night stay in the historic Casitas at Elephant Butte Lake with an all-day pontoon rental.
• One reader will receive two nights lodging for two at Ghost Ranch Education and Retreat Center.
• One reader will receive a one night stay at the Express Saint James Hotel in Cimarron, NM, Sunday brunch, a lantern tour of Old Town, admission to the Aztec Mill Museum, a tour of Villa Philomonte, a guided tour of Kit Carson Museum, and more!
• One reader will receive a three day tour of Clayton and Union Counties, which includes one night lodging each at the Eklund Hotel and the Holiday Motel, breakfast at the Dream Catcher Dining Room, dinner for four at the Rabbit Ear Café, four tickets to the Luna Theater, historic tour of Hezstein Museum, historic tour of the Santa Fe Train, historic tour Black Jack Ketchem's grave site, tour of Dinosaur Tracks at Clayton Lake, a private star party at the Clayton Lake International Dark Sky Observatory, and a one year pass to Capulin National Monument with a gift basket.
• One reader will receive a one-night stay at the St. James Hotel with dinner, plus a guided tour of Cimarron.
• One reader will receive a special guided tour of Los Alamos and the Historical Museum.
• Two readers will receive an annual National Park Service pass.
• One reader will receive a family pack of four for admission and pumpkins at McCall's Pumpkin Patch.
• One reader will receive eight family passes to the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, New Mexico.
• Two readers will receive a US Forest service backpack, fanny pack, flashlight, water bottle, and one Interagency Annual Pass, which can be used to all federal agencies.