Per Senate Bill 552 passed during the 2007 legislative session, “The Math and Science Education Act” was passed. The Act created in state [22-15E-1 NMSA 1978] the Math and Science Bureau in the Public Education Department and a statewide Math and Science Advisory Council (MSAC). The MSAC is composed of twelve members and shall be appointed by the Secretary of Education for staggered terms of four years. Using a statewide application process, the secretary shall appoint members from throughout the state to ensure representation of the state’s demographics, including geographic distribution, gender and ethnic diversity as follows:
- Four members from public schools (2 Mathematics and Science teachers + a school district administrator with Math and Science Curricula experience);
- Three members from public post-secondary educational institutions with expertise in Mathematics or Science education;
- Four members from the private sector, including the national laboratories, museums and science-and-engineering-based businesses; and
- One member who represents the New Mexico Partnership for Mathematics and Science Education.
The council shall meet quarterly.
The purpose of the council is to advise the Math and Science Bureau:
- make recommendations regarding the statewide strategic plan for improving mathematics and science education;
- advise the bureau , the PED and the legislature regarding appropriations for math and science education, administration, resources and serves, including programs for students and staff;
- work with the bureau to determining the need for improvement in math and science achievement of public school students and make recommendations to the department on how to meet these needs
In 2006-2007, the Math and Science Advisory Committee, the precursor to the MSAC, developed a Strategic Action Plan for Advancing Math and Science Education in New Mexico, entitled New Mexico Project 2012.
March 6, 2014 - Math and Science Advisory Council Meeting (MSAC)
January 9, 20134 - Math and Science Advisory Council Meeting (MSAC)
November 12, 2013 - Math and Science Advisory Council Meeting (MSAC) | Minutes
October 1, 2013 - Math and Science Advisory Council Meeting (MSAC) | Minutes
September 6, 2013 - Math and Science Advisory Council Meeting (MSAC) | Minutes
2011-2012 Math and Science Advisory Council Annual Report
MSAC Meeting Minutes, August 29, 2013